I’ve attempted here to write a short guide on one of the biggest problems and threats to the Armenian people, and more specifically Armenian Diaspora: Western assimilation. This is a topic that should be discussed more and given more attention. I hope this message can be spread.
Some Steps to Assimilation:
* Not speaking Armenian, preferring a foreign tongue
* Sacrificing family values and responsibilities
* Embracing the identity of the foreign land
* Being uninterested of the situation in Armenia
* Becoming more distant from the Armenian Community
* Becoming more enveloped in and identified with the Western contemporary culture/mindset
* Being uninterested in the world-wide Armenian issues
* Becoming “embarrassed” or “reclusive” regarding your Armenian identity, esp in public
* If used, using Armenian identity to show something that is not (e.g. international festivals)
and such folks will then raise their kids accordingly; thus ending the Armenian line right there.
Some Steps to being Raised into Assimilation
* Not being taught Armenian language
* Being raised with ‘Armenian’ identity being secondary or even not that
* Being raised and surrounded by primary Western culture and influences
* Not exposing child to Armenian history, culture, politics, etc
* Allegiance to the foreign country first
this can also transcend very easily into harming the interests of Armenians.
* Being a “rebel” against ones traditional family and values
* Using the label “Armenian” to promote oneself or put oneself differently from others
* Degrade oneself sexually but still use the Armenian label, which they have no right to, to advance their evil intentions
* Throwing down the name of Armenians via cultural, historical, and other means of harassment
Some Steps to Avoid Assimilation
* Promote, speak, and emphasise Armenian language
* Always stay connected to the Republic of Armenia
* Be active in your Armenian community/church
* Promote Armenian culture, history, and values
* Always identify yourself as just ‘Armenian’
* Visit Armenia as often as you can
* Surround yourself with Armenians, and hopefully Armenian family
For ethnicities with large diasporas, assimilation is one of the greatest threats as it can very easily abolish a large quantity of those people living abroad. The “blood” and “name” factor is not at all indicative if one is Armenian or not, but much more importantly their mindset, their values, and general relationship with Armenia. A person who has full Armenian blood and great Armenians names, but knows nothing about Armenia, language, culture, and does not feel connected to Armenians, is a useless person to the interests of Armenians. They can be viewed just like any other foreigner – there is not tangible difference.
Assimilation remains a bigger problem in the West, than in Armenian communities in Russia for example. The Western “pop” or “contemporary culture is of course a degrading alternative that only can harm Armenian interests with its corrosive assimilation abilities. People cannot be weak and must stand up, and more importantly see it that their family and friends are not taken by this force. Many Armenians (or more accurately former ones) will not take these steps, maybe shoot them down as ‘nationalistic’ or ‘over-the-top’ – and thus naturally many Armenians will be lost. My goal is that there at least be a sizeable minority of Armenians who can fight the assimilation forces, so that the White Genocide or the Second Genocide of the Armenians is not completed, and thus the Turks’ final desires not accomplished. Hopefully this can be talked about more frequently; the messages spread more, in order to secure the Armenian communities and secure the future of the Armenian nation.
Ես ուզում եմ շեշտեմ այս թեմայի կարեվորությունը ու հուսով եմ որ հայերը կըմբռնեն այս ողբերգական ու մռայլ իրավիճակը: Մենք պետք է կարողանանք արտասահմանում մեր հարուստ ազգությունը պահպանենք, որով մենք մնում ենք հայ: Այսօրվա ժամանակակից արևմտյան արժեքները տեղ չունեն մեր հասարակության մեջ, դրանք միայն քայքայելու են մեր մշակույթը ու մեր ազգի համբավը: